Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ballet Colouring Book - Watkins Strathmore / 1962


This is my latest nostalgia purchase.  Besides paper dolls, colouring books contain some of my most vivid childhood memories.  This is one I can remember particularly well so when I saw it for sale I snapped it up straight away.

Below are a few of my favourite pictures from this lovely book:
  









Autumn Harvest

Autumn seemed to come early this year.  Apparently it is because we had an unusually dry spring!  This is the first year we are following the seasons in our new home.  The apples are enormous - much bigger than those we had on our previous tree - and they taste even better than they look (which was an unexpected surprise!)
  



There is also a pear tree and the pears have been surprisingly tasty as well.  I've never had home grown pears before so that was another unexpected treat. 



Some yellow berries at Trinity College:


Holly at St Stephen's Green:



Angels

I just had to include these even though the photos did not come out so well.  In real life I think they are too delicate to scan and the colours are much softer and prettier.

These little angels were made by a grandmother whose grandchild has leukemia and is in hospital.  The proceeds of those she sells is going to the hospital to buy toys and games to brighten up the children's lives while they are there.  I found the appeal very touching and bought one for myself and one for my sister.  For different reasons we could also both do with a bit of heavenly intervention right now so I'm hoping these little angels will smile on us as well.     






3 comments:

Kylie said...

It's easy to understand why you had to buy that colouring-in book Sharon, it's so charming and brings back memories of my childhood too.

Oh to pick apples AND pears from my own tree! Now that would be special...I'm afraid I'll have to make do with our lemon tree at the moment. Still waiting on our lime tree to bear fruit for Summer G&T's.

I hope those angels smile down on you and your Sister and on that little boy too x

GardenOfDaisies said...

Super sweet coloring book! Did you take ballet as a child? Your apples and pears look delicious! I would love to have a fruit bearing tree in my yard! Those are very pretty little angels. Hoping the best for you and for your friend who made them.

sharonssunlitmemories said...

You guessed it - I was devoted to ballet. My first public performance - aged about 5!- was as the mouse that ate the corn (and was subsequently eaten by the cat) who lived in 'The House that Jack Built'. I wore a grey leotard with a long tail when all I really wanted was a frilly tutu!

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...